A brief history of the GAA in General
The Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in Thurles on the 1st of November 1884. Since then the organisation has grown to become one of the strongest amateur assocoations in the world and following its foundation, it quickly developed and reached every parish in the country. The association is now world wide in countries like England, USA and as far as Australia.
Although there is no definite date for the formation of the Enniscrone Club known, it is taken that the year was 1888, as the club was represented at the County Convention in November of that year by P.J. Hopkins. The first recorded match showing the clubs involvement was against Easkey at Easkey on Sunday 27th January 1889. The result of this match has not been given. The people involved in the club administration in 1889 were Wallace Hopkins, J.O'Dowd, M.J.Blake, T.Carroll, P.McGowan,Francis Rouse and John Kennedy. As the club has been unable to identify the club founders,the above people are credited with its foundation in the parish. Did You Know? When the GAA was founded Central Council of the Administration wished each club to adopt a distinctive name, thus the Enniscrone club became the "Owen Roes", and in the early years the club wore "blue and white" colours.
1983 This year will be long remembered by the G.A.A. followers in the parish. It was to be the year when one of the finest playing pitches in the County was officially opened at Quigabar. (Although, the pitch is offically in the town land of Parke, it has for some reason or other been known over the past 20years as Quigabar when it comes to fixtures for matches). In May of 1983 the playing pitch at Quigabar was officially opened by Mr. John Higgins Chairman of the County Board at that time(He is now Patron of the County Board) and blessed by Rev. Canon Thomas Clarke,P.P. Our committee was led by Chairman at the time the late Sean Sweeney of Quiagabar who devoted so much of his life to the development of the club and the provision of facilities for all in the parish for years to come. Other members of this committee were The opening was a result of many years hard work and endeavour by the committee members within the club. Many efforts had been made to acquire suitable club grounds, without much success. Fr. Paddy Guckian and Michael Jacob Jnr were foremost in negotiations and eventually the land at Quigabar was acquired. The field was vested in the G.A.A. and the following trustees were appointed: Alphonsus Carroll Quigabar, Eamonn Murphy Culleens, Eddie Harte Culleens and Fr. Guckian. On the day of the official opening Sligo beat Leitrim in the minor match with Enniscrone's Martin McGrath at full forward for the winners and JP Kilgallon amongst the substitutes. Sligo seniors played host to Offaly who were the reigning All-Ireland Champions and the team famously known as the team who stopped the great Kerry team to win the 5 in a row. A large crowd had turned out to see the match, but were disappointed when Sligo were comprehensively beaten by 4-18 to 0-8pts. Our own club great P.J. Kavanagh was a regular on the county panel and had the honour of captaining the Sligo team on the day.
Sligo Senior Champions 1929
This is the last team from the parish to have won a Senior Championship title.
The people in the picture are as follows:
Back row, L-R: Mick Tolan(official), Pat Mullaney, Joe Gordon, Brian Gildea, Thomas Carroll, Jack Helly, Tómas Freeman(official)
Row, L-R: Leo Kavanagh, Willie Kelly, John Kilcullen, Frank Kavanagh, Henry Kavanagh, Josie Kelly, Paddy Kavanagh, John Devaney.
Front row, L-R: Mick Byron, Frank Golden, Patrick Kavanagh, Matty Conmy.